Award winning Ontario-based production company, Boat Rocker Media (BRM), is a global entertainment company that creates, produces and distributes premium content and brands for all platforms. We have a strong creative and business culture that fights for ideas, supports storytellers, and has a track record of ensuring big ideas get distributed to the world.
The Senior Contracts Administrator
will report into the VP of Business and Legal Affairs and will handle contract drafting, negotiation and administration duties for the company’s Distribution division, Boat Rocker Rights (“BRR”). The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of similar experience within a distribution operation, as well as excellent communication skills and the proven ability to work confidently with the sales team, prioritizing and managing multiple projects concurrently.
- Work with different levels of personnel within Boat Rocker, specifically sales executives, business and legal affairs, to analyze and solidify the overall contract strategy for BRR
- Work with third party producers and licensees and serve as a liaison between internal and external parties during contract drafting, negotiation and post signature stages
- Work closely with BRR sales team when negotiating key terms of all sales contracts (licence agreements)
- Work closely with BRR acquisitions team when negotiating key terms of all acquisition contracts (producer agreements)
- Ensure all key terms of negotiation are reflected accurately in the final contract
- Identify any concerning issues in any contract before signature and effectively resolve such issues with sales executives and business and legal affairs
- Maintain deal checklist of key negotiation terms for sales & acquisitions licenses; coordinate with BRR sales execs, business and legal affairs, media operations and rights administration as required
- Prepare, file, manage and distribute all distribution contracts (license and producer agreements) to internal and external parties
- Responsible for license detail entry into rights management software - rights sold, territory, delivery dates, invoice dates, etc.
- Responsible to maintain and update list of third-party productions for insurance purposes on a quarterly basis
- Coordinate with production and business affairs for inclusion of all proprietary production updates for insurance purposes
- 5+ years of experience managing business affairs and/or contracts administration within the entertainment industry
- Strong drafting and negotiating skills specifically with respect to broadcast licenses, international distribution agreements and acquisition agreements
- Excellent working knowledge of international television distribution and a strong familiarity with rights negotiation and how rights are licensed across various media and platforms, both traditional linear and digital
- Effective ability to analyze transactions and risks from a sound pragmatic and commercial perspective, with strong technical expertise to negotiate and execute contracts with confidence
- Ability to top-line issues for sales executives and producers and communicate in a clear, concise and succinct manner
- Working knowledge of third-party distribution operations and client management
- Strong familiarity with various global broadcasters and platforms
- Must be well organized, detail-oriented, efficient and have the ability to prioritize
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks and meet conflicting deadlines in short time frames
- Ability to work independently, manage workload, prioritize and take initiative
- Superior oral and written communication skills and the ability to explain complex issues simply, clearly and tactfully
- Excellent people skills and ability to work as part of a team at all levels of an organization
- Willingness to work effectively and timely across time zones with colleagues and clients throughout the globe
- High level of integrity and judgment in managing confidential / sensitive information
- Takes responsibility for assigned tasks, shows initiative to suggest improvements to processes and procedures
- An analytical mind, able to trouble-shoot effectively and calmly with an ability to react to challenges and maintain a sense of humor.
- Proven ability to build strong internal and external client relationships, effectively advise senior-level executives under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk and generate strong partner and internal satisfaction through strategic thinking and firm decision-making
Boat Rocker Media is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Boat Rocker Media is committed to providing an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs.