Boat Rocker Media is a global entertainment company that creates, produces, and distributes premium media content for all platforms, manages top global talent, and develops and monetizes brands and intellectual property. The Company was founded in 2003 and has offices across 7 major global cities that house 750+ employees including: Toronto (Headquarters), New York, Los Angeles, Ottawa, Halifax, London and Hong Kong. Boat Rocker Media produces 750+ hours of high quality, diverse programming annually with a distribution library of 8,000+ half hours for leading global customers such as Netflix, HBO, BBC, NBC, ABC, Hulu, Amazon, Apple, Disney, Showtime, Discovery, CTV, Global and CBC.
The company operates in three core segments and also holds a portfolio of venture investments via its Boat Rocker Ventures entity (e.g. Serial Box). The three core segments are as follows:
- Kids & Family:
- Boat Rocker Studios – Kids & Family: Develops kids programming and partners with audience building platforms (e.g. Dino Ranch / Disney, Love Monster / CBeebies).
- Animation (Jam Filled): Full service digital animation studio that partners with creators, producers, brands and broadcasters in the production of animation content across all genres and for all platforms (e.g. Loud House / Nickelodeon).
- Brands: Develops and executes Boat Rocker Media’s brands, franchise management, brand and content marketing, licensing and merchandising initiatives across all programming genres (e.g. Dino Ranch / Jazwares / Scholastic).
- Scripted: Consists of LA based Platform One Media (upcoming projects include Rodeo Queens / Amazon, Invasion / Apple) and Toronto based Temple Street (Orphan Black / BBC America).
- Unscripted: Comprised of US-based Matador Content (Dear … / Apple, Lip Sync Battle / Paramount Network) and Canada based Proper Television (The Great Canadian Baking Show / CBC) and Insight Productions (Big Brother Canada / Global).
- Talent (Untitled Entertainment): Industry leading talent management firm with 750+ clients.
The Corporate Development and Strategy team is a small group of talented professionals with backgrounds in media, investment banking, and consulting, who serve as in-house advisers to Boat Rocker Media’s executive leadership. The team is responsible for corporate wide strategic planning and identifying, evaluating and executing on acquisitions, investments and partnerships to further the Company's strategic goals.
Examples of past work that the Corporate Development and Strategy team has done over the past few years include:
- Acquisitions: Matador Content, Platform One Media, Fremantle Kids & Family Division
- Strategic Investments & Partnerships: Untitled Entertainment, Industrial Brothers
- Venture Investments: CAA Creative Labs, Marco Polo, Serial Box, Toronto Arrows RFC
The Manager of Corporate Development and Strategy will report to the Vice President of Corporate Development and Strategy and is responsible for insights and assessments relating to opportunities that Boat Rocker Media should pursue financially or operationally. The successful candidate will be able to prepare presentations, perform complex financial analyses and generate well-articulated recommendations based on their research and analysis.
Skills & Qualifications
- Deal Analysis
- Perform rigorous valuation analyses and business/integration case modeling to evaluate and recommend transaction opportunities including acquisitions, investments and strategic partnerships
- Conduct due diligence for transactions including performing company and sector research, analyzing financial statements, building financial models, and working cross-functionally to manage diligence process with legal, FP&A, HR, and other stakeholders
- Maintain the deal pipeline for acquisitions, investments and partnerships
- Strategic Analysis
- Develop theses around the future of media and businesses that Boat Rocker Media can expand into
- Assist with review of key strategic opportunities and conduct build, buy, partner analyses to determine best path to fulfill those strategic objectives
- Partner with business unit leadership to discover internal opportunities, assist with growth projects, and transform them into results
- Board Reporting
- Create investment and related presentations for senior executives and the Board of Directors
- 2+ years at a top investment bank, private equity, hedge fund, management consulting firm and/or media/entertainment/tech company in a strategy/corporate development/analytical role
- High level of intellectual curiosity with a passion for the media and entertainment sectors
- Superb financial modeling skills and extensive experience conducting valuation analyses
- Superior problem-solving skills including project prioritization, critical thinking, and hypothesis development
- Willingness to work in an entrepreneurial setting and with a problem-solving mindset across a variety of tasks
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) and comfortable engaging with C-level executives
Boat Rocker Media is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from qualified women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Boat Rocker Media is committed to providing an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs.