Boat Rocker Studios is seeking an exceptional candidate to join our growing global brand franchise team. In this dual role, the Licensing Director
will report to the EVP Brand Management & Content Marketing. This is a new
role within our team, and we are looking for a candidate that can shape and build the position as well as the department. You will serve as a key business leader for the Americas whilst also being highly integral to the global business. This position will strategically plan, build and drive a portfolio of brands, building & developing the consumer products programme within the Americas, primarily focusing on the kids & family franchise brands, but when opportunities arise will also encompass scripted and factual genres. You are an entrepreneurial thinker who is excited by scaling a business rapidly within a small team. Partnering internally and externally to secure partnerships across all key categories as well as work strategically to develop and execute integrated brand marketing efforts to ensure overarching franchise growth of the portfolio.
In a fast-paced environment responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Develop extensive strategic 3-5-year regional brand strategies, rollout plans and set category plans including sales strategy, ensuring strong targeting of core consumer, maximising brand engagement and awareness
- Monitor and regularly evaluate brand strategies, brand health and regional activity ensuring success
- Work with the EVP to assess, manage and lead all day to day management of the licensing business for the Americas, including licensing, retail (B&M and ecommerce) and promotional partnerships
- Be primary deal maker - pitch, negotiate and secure A list partners across all key CP categories as well as DTRs to deliver against strategy and meet financial forecasts
- Solid interaction with retailers alongside licensees while also working independently to build and achieve critical mass at retail across our portfolio
- Build meaningful relationships with key buyers in key categories to help secure additional listings, as well as execute cross category promotions and any other retail activations
- Full 360 licensee management including all brand communications and updates, being key point person to provide brand strategy direction, conduct ongoing strategic business reviews, ongoing performance, renewals, extensions, quarterly and annual reporting
- Oversee forecasting and work with brand and licensing manager to ensure collection of royalties from licensees under agreement
- Research and identify category gaps and white space and target new partners to fill these, including manufactures, promotional partners and DTRs with retailers
- Generate new and innovative ideas for product line extensions
- Seek brand collaborations to leverage the positioning of Boat Rocker Studios and our IP within the preschool environment
- Constantly analyse the rapidly evolving landscape of US media platforms, quickly developing expertise in how to build franchise brands and achieve commercial success on new emerging platforms
- Support deal development, working alongside the creative and product development team
- Regularly monitor and review brand performance across the region, communicating successes and highlighting potential risks to EVP. Have a thorough knowledge of key trends, brands, and competitors’ performance
- Responsible for delivering the Americas P&L, managing forecasting & reporting achieving quarterly targets
- Work closely and build strong relationships with internal stakeholders such as creative development, production, PR, legal, finance, including teams in international markets
- Oversea the day to day workflow of the Brand and Licensing Manager based in our Toronto office
Essential Skills & Experience
ABOUT BOAT ROCKER MEDIA
- 10-15 years of solid experience within an entertainment, licensing, or retail environments, across all major soft lines and hardlines categories, preferably kids & family content
- Seasoned executive with proven track record in building brands, managing franchises, driving CP revenues with demonstrable sales negotiation experience, delivering against overarching P&L.
- Solid understanding of the US retail environment, strong network of contacts
- Capable of shaping and building a business through an entrepreneurial lens, ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize
- Strong presentation skills are critical
- Experience in managing and tracking a wide portfolio of brands at different life cycles
- Strong financial background
- Strong interpersonal, communication and relationship management skills
- Highly organised with the ability to work to tight deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Comfortable working within a small team and within a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Bachelor’s Degree, MBA strongly preferred
Boat Rocker Media is a global entertainment company that creates, produces, and exploits premium media content for all platforms by developing brands and IP for worldwide monetization. Boat Rocker Studios, the content, distribution, and brands arm of the company, consists of the following content groups: Platform One Media, Temple Street, Matador Content, Proper, Insight Productions, Boat Rocker Kids & Family, Jam Filled Entertainment, and investments in Untitled Entertainment and Industrial Brothers. Boat Rocker Ventures also has investments in Serial Box, MarcoPolo Learning, the Toronto Arrows Rugby Football Club, CAA Creative Labs and Bustle.
A selection of Boat Rocker’s recent projects includes: Orphan Black (BBC AMERICA, Space), Lip Sync Battle (Paramount Network), Iron Chef Canada (Food Network), Killjoys (Syfy, Space), The Amazing Race Canada (CTV), Knight Fight (History), Vintage Tech Hunters (Discovery), X Company (CBC), Masterchef Canada (CTV), Mary’s Kitchen Crush (CTV), The Next Step (Family Channel, CBBC), The Loud House (Nickelodeon), Love Monster (CBeebies), Kingdom Force (CBC), Remy & Boo (Universal Kids, CBC), Dino Ranch (Disney Jr, CBC). For more information on Boat Rocker Media, please visit www.boatrocker.com and connect via (Twitter) or (Facebook).